Pages

Friday, August 14, 2009

Boomer Picks Tomatoes in Back Yard

Yes, it's that time of year when my garden tucked in a corner next to the house begins to produce.  I like to pretend I'm a farmer when I begin to harvest.     After picking something, I carry it into the house and announce, "I've just been out in the garden harvesting and look what I have!"

But here's the problem:  when do you know when to pick a green bean or a jalapeno pepper?  I can tell when it's too late but not when it's just right.  Tomatoes are easier.  They turn nice and red.   

By this time I've forgotten what we paid for a plant.  As I picked my green beans I wondered, how many green beans would I have to pick to break even on the plant?    That kind of takes the fun out of it though, so I don't ponder that question much.

We put the garden in the year the Teen decided she wanted to grow her own vegetables.  Fit with her then vegetarian (now vegan) new outlook on life.  So Bill, her dedicated father, dug out my flowers, planted the veges of her choice, and that's about the last time she had anything to do with the garden.   

No comments:

Post a Comment